Biopharmaceutical Research & Development
Our client, a leading pharmaceutical company, engaged us to increase project workload capacity at their Research & Development (R&D) facility whilst improving the schedule adherence of current project workloads. The project was charged with optimizing and increasing the utilization of advanced bioreactor laboratories, at a site that was responsible for the development of the next generation analogues of a portfolio of biological derived (large molecule) drugs, including one $6 billion/year blockbuster.
- Robust capacity planning process for all projects that maximized equipment utilization and afforded scientists time to focus on scientific innovation whilst minimizing time expended on non-value added tasks.
- Rhythm wheel levelling strategy for preculture process and established standard work practices for the sampling and analysis of study results.
- Electronic visual management system to track and monitor progress of projects and report instructive Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s).
- Increased average bioreactor utilization by 29%.
- New planning process and re-engineered changeover process for bioreactors resulted in significant reduction of bioreactor downtime.
- Marked increase in overall project workload capacity without the need for additional equipment or scientist resourcing.